Shannon and Chris Neuman of Calgary couldn’t contain their joy after filing for divorce. So they posted a selfie. “Here’s Chris Neuman and I yesterday after filing for divorce! But we’re smiling?! Yep, we’re kooky like that,” she said on Facebook.
Shannon and Chris explained why they treated their divorce as a moment to share:
We have respectfully, thoughtfully and honourably ended our marriage in a way that will allow us to go forward as parenting partners for our children, the perfect reason that this always WAS meant to be, so they will never have to choose.
Since being posted last week, their #divorceselfie has been shared over 30,000 times on Facebook.
The soon-to-be-former Neumans join many other couples who have posted divorce selfies to declare their unlove to the world.
1. The first divorce selfie to get public attention appears to have been taken a year ago by a Florida couple. It was blurry but showed definitively they were at the court house. Exciting!
“We are officially un-married,” read the caption from Keith Hinson. “Here’s to the most friendly, respectful, and loving split imaginable. We smile not because it’s over, but because it happened.”
These two are so great not together.
2. This pair raised the bar by posing in front of a badass eagle holding the scales of justice. Divorce for ‘merica!
3. Hashtagging the hell out of your #divorceselfie is recommended. Her choices included #squats #pizza #gameover and #byefelicia. Strong game.
4. These two happy divorcees included the paperwork, just in case anyone doubted their commitment to being apart.
5. They couldn’t wait to sign!
6. Many people choose to write their own unvows. “Don’t cry because it’s over; smile because it happened.”
7. “Because you can get divorced while laughing.”
8. “I’m going cat shopping.”
9. People find it hard to contain their joy at the thought of being apart forever.
10. They look so happy.
“This is how you get divorced like champions,” they posted.
11. It’s also totally cool to just go with the moment and let your true emotions out.
Because we all know that only true friends selfie together.
12. Show the world that you are imperfect for each other.
“This is how you stay friends thru the drama,” she said.
13. Awwww look, even kids have been doing it.
“I’m honoured that I got to spend 5 years with you,” she posted. “We went through a lot together and were an amazing team.”
They’ve got their whole lives ahead of them.